Thursday, March 6, 2014

Meet the Author - Maryann Wakefield

I am a writer. I can’t tell you how much I love saying those four words. I’ve always been a writer. I’m fascinated by the power of a single word. As an educator, well crafted words got me what I wanted, what I needed for my children, teachers, staff, parents, my building, and, of course, for myself.

Now I write fiction stories inspired by a lifetime of observations, experiences, dreams, and what-ifs. I surround myself with other writers: Ozark Romance Writers, Ozark Writers League, Springfield Writers Guild, Sleuth’s Inc, Sisters in Crime, and Mystery Writers of America. I sit on the board of Missouri Writers Hall of Fame. I participate in the annual Writers Hall of Fame Writers Workshop. The mission is to award scholarships to talented high school seniors and to recognize students in grades 5 through 12 for their writing skills. To fulfill the mission I’m involved with selecting a professional writer with significant contributions to receive the Quill Award at an annual Gala. I’m a lifetime member of Missouri State Teachers Association and the National Education Association. My career as an educator was in Springfield, Missouri where I taught at four elementary schools (Delaware, Holland, Horace Mann, and Eugene Field) and served as principal at two (Weaver and Alice Pittman). Later I became a consultant for Springfield Public Schools and taught reading at Drury University. I loved those years, all those children, all those memories. Now I write. I bring to this new job passion and the ability to set missions and goals. To be a writer, you have to know yourself. I’m good at climbing out of the tough valleys that life brings; I believe that I can make the tough valleys of others easier with my stories. I want to make a positive difference. I believe my first novel, A Gentle Sun Coming, will do that. My agent, Jeanie C. LoiaconoLoiacono Literary Agency, LLC. and Madison Connors, Front Porch Romance is marketing it now. Take a look at their web site and find my name under Clients. I’m at work on my second novel, A Raging Storm Coming. When I’m not sitting in my downstairs office with the window onto my yard, I’m off on another trip (LOVE to travel!), out working in my flowers, taking long walks, playing tennis, lunching with the girls, soaking in my tub, playing bridge with long-time friends, curled up with a good book (and maybe a small glass of wine), or entertaining friends and family. Ah, my family! When I’m counting my blessings, I begin with my husband, Larry Wakefield (my childhood sweetheart) and my wonderful family: son Allen and his wife Lisa, son Scott, deceased, and six grandchildren.

Am I happy? Yes. I used to say that teaching was the best job in the world. I loved being a teacher. But I have to tell you that realizing my second dream–becoming a full time writer–is even better than I expected. It’s hard work. I can’t get enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment